Friday, October 12, 2007

Blood Donation

"Knock knock knock....." "Oooi, wake up la..Send me to work ar.. I'm gonna late already!!!" Stupid elder sister making noise outside my bedroom, asking me fetch her to work. I looked at the clock...... celaka betul ni, baru 10.30am!!! Arhhhh.... No choice lo, who ask me know how to drive meh.. Reject her? You want me to become 18 pieces ar?! Then I fetch her to work with half awaken lo. Lucky I can came back safely.

As usual, once being woke up already sure cannot fall asleep again. What can do? Do house keeping lo.. I always be the person who clean the house, but the rest must be the person who are "responsible" to "dirtify" the house. Somemore my younger sister claimed that her friend want to come over. Her sound like asking me to make sure the house is clean before her friend reach. Ooi, I'm your brother leh, not your maid!! Even maid aslo got salary, I did it for free one, what a cheap maid.

When I planned to rest a while after cleaned the house, Adelyn sms me and told me that blood bank now in critical time, only 1500 packets of blood remaining. Then I blame her that she long time din not donate blood, that's why blood bank had not enough blood lo. Then she suggested to donate blood at Pusat Darah Negara. Eh, she is serious one leh. At first I thought she was kidding tim. I wonder what happen to the management. They thought they want to adopt Just In Time(JIT) meh. At the end, Shiew Wai became our driver. Just driver only, he is definitely not going to donate blood with us. Eh, donate blood is not as pain as you all thought ok? It’s just like bitten by mosquito only, and the mosquito is NEITHER like this…..


NOR like this....

We reached Pusat Darah Negara around 1.30pm. Then we register by filling a form. After that we tested the iron level contained in our blood. When the nurse test Adelyn’s blood for second time, I already had a bad feeling that the iron in her blood was not reach the minimum level required. So? I was the only one who donate la. The one who asked me to donate sat at outside and chat at the end. Really sweat… I get a number and wait for my turn to check my blood pressure. After that I followed the directory and reached the room for donors. That is really big. I think there are more than 25 special chairs in that room.

The special chair allowed us to donate blood either left hand or right hand. If your left hand no blood come out, then can try right hand without changing the chair.

The machine which will have "beep" sound to alert the nurse that the packet of blood was already 450ml.

I'm a universal blood donor. Blue sticker is for O type, white for AB type, Yellow for B type, and red for A type.

At first I really thought the green sticker is just for a label. When I look it nearer, i saw this...RARE? What happen to my blood? I begin to feel worry why my blood was labeled "rare". Then I cin cai catch a nurse and ask for the reason. The nurse began to explain like an expert. She said: "there is something contained in your blood. But you no need to worry because this is a normal situation that grouped in the acceptable range. That means your blood is ok one, only need test the receiver blood before he/she can use your blood."

I'm sure everybody feel curious what is the "something" that contained in my blood, I am not the exception one. But you know what answer I get? answer is "dun know".... Eh, I'm not diu gou lei mai... This was what she said:"actually I also dun know. This is so complicated and it is only understandable by doctor."

"Ceh......" I'm sure you all have the same reaction as Shiew Wai and Adelyn when I told them about this. But the nurses there really polite. At least better than the nurses when I donate blood in TARC lo. Even just a simple "thank you", I really feel that what I had done was appreciated. After I rest for 10 minutes, I just get down from the chair and walked over to another side of the room. It is like a small cafe that allow the donor have a drink and some food.

The food and drink they served. Of course included some pill for regain the iron. Normally I'll throw it away.

We should feel happy after did a good thing. But I feel a bit regret to do so as my left hand was so pain. My left hand like already cacat liao!! Can't even grab thing well.

Wound after donate blood~Day 1

Wound after donate blood~Day 2
Cis, internal bleeding pula. Bengkak and pain somemore.

Eventhough sometimes will happen this kind of accident, but I never change my mind to stop donating blood every 3 months as there is so much benefits!! Who said receiver is the only beneficiary? For example, donating blood may reduce the risk of heart disease for men and stimulate the generation of red blood cells. Anecdotally, elderly people in good health have reported feeling invigorated by giving blood on a regular basis. (Sweat…..)

I really encourage people to donate blood as it is really can help others, and can benefit yourself at the same time. Especially guys… We do not have period like female. By donating blood, we can take out the “dirty” blood and “manufacture” the new one. Sounds nice right?

To become a qualified donor, following rules must be complied:
1. You are in good health on the day you donate blood
2. You are between 18-60 years of age.
3. Your weight is above 45kg.
4. You have more than 8 hours of sleep.
5. You are free from any medical problems. E.g., high blood pressure, heart diseases, diabetes, migraine, flu, fever etc.
6. You have not taken antibiotic recently.
7. You have taken light meal before donating blood.
8. You are not involving in any of the following activities:
(a) Homosexual relationship
(b) Bisexual relationship
(c) Multiple sexual partner
(d) You have sexual contact with those mentioned above
(e)Drug abuse
9. Your last donation is more than 3 months ago

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hei dude,
blue colour mean "Rh negative"..

That mean for each blood type will have 2 colours, Blue and Red. Red mean Rh-positive.

"O-Negetive" is classified as rare blood type in SEA countries.
It's as rare as "B-negetive"(which is a very common blood type in middle east countries).

If you are rare blood type, BE VERY VERY CARFUL AND PLEASE DO FREQUENTLY DO BLOOD DONATION.

Davis™ said...

When I donate blood at TARC, I saw there is only blue color for O type. And the sticker was exactly same as Adelyn one. So... which one is right?

Anonymous said...

The only sticker u see is blue for O-type?

ok.. let's cheak up!! i am going to donate at the Old Folk Home in Happy Garden on 18/11/07..

Maybe both of u also O-negetive le.. hahaha~

Anonymous said...

Great work.